May 31, 2010 - 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Panelist - The Value of Research in Marketing -
The Marketers' View
Co-Founder, Steam Whistle Brewing
Greg Taylor worked for ten years in the micro-brewing industry in Ontario before co-founding Steam Whistle Brewing. After studying Economics at the University of Toronto and holding Sales positions in the media and technology industries, he was Sales Manager at The Upper Canada Brewing Company for five years before he held successive positions as Director of Sales and later Vice President, Sales. He was responsible for five consecutive years of 42% annualized sales growth. He left there in 1998 to establish Nelson Cash Systems, an Automated Banking Machine (ABM) company taking advantage of the newly relaxed Bank Act allowing ‘white label’ ABM machines. He provided ABMs to bars, restaurants and service stations, maintaining his sales contacts in the hospitality industry. In 1999 with Cam Heaps and Greg Cromwell, he developed the Steam Whistle Business plan. Taylor is the creative force at Steam Whistle developing many of the brewery’s unique marketing propositions. His touch at human relations has helped to form the company’s unique culture and to lead their winning sales team.
- In February 2010, Steam Whistle Brewing was honoured for the second time as one of “Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies” in KPMG’s and CIBC’s annual search.
- In April 2009, Steam Whistle Brewing was given the Environmental Award of Excellence by the City of Toronto for their use of alternative energy sources and for their reduction of energy use.
- In 2008, Greg Taylor and Cam Heaps were joint winners of “Entrepreneurs of the Year Award” by Ernst and Young in their annual competition to recognize the outstanding business success of Canada’s Entrepreneurs.
- In May 2007 Steam Whistle was named one of only 21 organizations recognized as “Green Buildings” in the City of Toronto by the Clean Air Partnership, for their environmentally friendly practices in manufacturing.
- In September 2007, Steam Whistle Brewing won The Immigrant Success Award, in the Small Business Category, recognizing diversity in their workforce.
- In 2009, Steam Whistle was short listed for Canada’s Top100 Employers and nominated for Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
- Steam Whistle Pilsner has thrice been named “Best Pilsner” in Ontario’s Brewing Awards.